Atlantis?! Nope. Looks like a glitch. Or deliberate mistake. Still, worth a visit to the phantom island in the South Pacific…
The Google Earth Island That Never Existed: A South Pacific island identified on Google Earth and world maps does not exist, according to Australian scientists who went searching for the mystery landmass during a geological expedition.
Last year, the comic/blog XKCD had the Internet examine various colors and name them. They ended up with a sample size of 5,000,000, and designer Stephen Von Worley turned the 2,000 most common responses into a gender-exploring interactive infographic. As it seemingly turns out, men and women call the same colors different names.
Hat tip: Flowing Data
- Visualization of internet distribution;
- The pinpointed distribution of the unemployed;
- Domino’s Pizza’s raw ingredients’ delivery routes in the Northeast;
- U.S. electricity network routes;
- Traced paths of deceased bodies being transported to their hometowns;
- U.S. imports and exports of beef;
- All the people in America’s towns and cities.
Full episodes of the series can currently be viewed online for U.S. residents only.